The Modern Barbershop Fills A Much-Needed Void
Written by Cindy Marie Jenkins on Wednesday, June 13th, 2018 at 2:39pm.
The Barbershop Comeback
The local barbershop has historically been a place of camaraderie: one to meet, play chess, talk, and of course to groom. But, when big chains came in during the 80's ad 90's offering quick and cheap cuts, barbershops as we knew them began to fade. In recent years, however, we're seeing barbershops start to spring up everywhere. Some might consider this to be just another hipster trend, but judging by their surge in popularity, it's pretty clear that the modern barbershop is filling a much-needed void.
In fact, the barbershop is more like a sanctuary than just a haircut joint - with perks and entertainment that make it a destination where men actually want to spend their time. So, even if you or dad don't necessarily need a trim, we're still suggesting you pop in to your local barbershop for a truly classic father-son experience. Here's a round-up of our favorite local barbershops.
Our Favorite Local Barbershops
- San Francisco: The San Francisco Barber Shop is truly the place to start - with a complimentary cold beer, incredible consistency in your cut and style, plus barbers with such skill using scissors that it’s often compared to excellence in sword fighting.
- Downtown Los Angeles: DTLA Cuts is where to go when you want a precision, stylish cut and close shave. They also offer a charcoal or clay peel mask, their signature facial, and a menthol steam facial.
- Orange County: Cuts & Glory Barber Shop is so popular that you’ll likely have to wait for your turn in a seat, but that includes waiting with a pool table, adult beverage, and 46” flat screens.
- Palm Beach: Reel Clips Barber Shop combines expert shaves and cuts with classic movies: the perfect blend of Palm Beach’s personal style and history of housing celebrities.
- Miami: Razzledazzle Barbershop has a classic, upscale vibe. Besides a haircut, you can get a hot lather shave, shoe shine, and hand massage all enjoyed underneath an elegant chandelier.
Have a favorite barbershop of your own? If you're not afraid of spilling the local secret, help our readers get their style on and share it with us in the comments below.