The Declaration of Independence was signed on July 4, 1776, but the first fireworks to commemorate the event were displayed one year later. That’s when the real holiday began, and it’s all thanks to John Adams’ visions for “Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.”
With so many 4th of July Fireworks shows to choose from, sometimes it’s hard to find the one that’s right for you. Here are our picks from some of our favorite nook neighborhoods.
- The San Francisco Art Institute, which houses iconic murals by Diego Rivera, also provides a home for you to enjoy the local fireworks show - on the roof terrace of this private art college.
- Dodger Stadium has a Independence Day Ticket Special that gets you a game ticket for Pirates @ Dodgers, post-game fireworks show, and a t-shirt to commemorate the occasion. Purchase your tickets here before they sell out.
- The Queen Mary has special events from 2pm all the way to 10pm, with kids 4 and under free. You can enjoy special patriotic shows, historic tours, red, white and blue themed games, activities, then witness a breathtaking fireworks display on the deck.
- Over one hundred years ago 500,000 people visited Huntington Beach to commemorate the first electric passenger train arriving in Huntington Beach. The city honors this milestone, along with America’s Independence, every year with their Huntington Beach 4th of July Celebration - a mixture of small town air shows, tug-of-wars and a Pancake Festival with celebrities, bands, the “largest Independence Day parade west of the Mississippi River,” and a grand fireworks display to cap it all off!
- Royal Palm Beach has a Star Spangled Spectacular that starts at 1 pm for the kiddos and runs until 8 pm. Gourmet food trucks, carnival style games and rides, plus local artists and musicians make this a great festival where you can view the fireworks displays around you.
- Key Biscayne in Miami celebrates their 59th annual 4th of July parade and fireworks display, with an all American parade float extravaganza, bagpipers, marching bands, live music nearby and fireworks at 9 pm. Get all the details here.